Terry's GIS Studies and Transition to a New Career

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Lab Assignment 1

Today, I completed the first lab assignment.  It was a little bit of a challenge for me, but I mitigated quite a bit of the challenge by having two monitors.  I definitely recommend that you have about a 24 inch monitor in addition to your laptop monitor. It made things quite a bit easier and reduced the amount of clicking and minimizing.  The instructions for the lab were very easy to follow, but I second-guessed myself for the file path because the abbreviated example did not contain the same data.  I have also learned that I reduce my frustration by first downloading the process summary and printing the instructions and then logging onto Google Drive and opening the GIS application.  This way, I can have all the information I need without moving between the virtual desktop and my own desktop.  All in all, it was a fun assignment, but I think I will practice a little more so that I can seamlessly navigate between folders before the labs become more difficult. As for the map itself, I just followed the instructions as written to include the symbology choice (Circle 1).  I chose green for my color ramp because I wanted it to transition from lighter to darker and I did not want to use blue because I felt it would confuse the viewer because the oceans are blue. I then saved it to the S drive and the Google Drive.
Terry's Lab 1 Deliverable--World Countries (Topographic)

No comments:

Post a Comment