Terry's GIS Studies and Transition to a New Career

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Module 7--Google Earth

Google Earth Map of South Florida Showing Hydrology and Population Density

This was the final lab of this course. Google Earth was much easier to use than in the last course. The overall operations of the lab were very easy and straightforward. Once I created a new map in ArcGIS Pro and added a feature class, I exported the layer to a .kmz file using the "Layer to KML" tool in ArcGIS Pro. The only issue I had was that because I use the virtual desktop, I had to package the .kmz files into a zip folder and then send them to my desktop.

I then ensured all layers were exported to Google Earth Pro in accordance with the lab instructions. In order to add the files to Google Earth, I used File>Open>click on .kmz file. This placed the file in a temporary folder, which I moved to a new folder in My Places.  I was able to drag each feature to change the order, but this did not change the drawing order. In order to change the drawing order so that the dots were the highest (lab requirement), I right clicked the feature, chose Properties, and then adjusted altitude. I used absolute and adjusted the dots to be higher than the county boundaries (which I placed above ground level so they wouldn't blend in so much). The hydrology features did not have the altitude option, of course.

To create the legend, I imported a .png file by using the Add menu and selected Image Overlay. In order to properly size and position the legend, I had to move several bright green marks, which I complete through trial and error. I then saved the .kmz file onto my desktop.

The second part of the lab was to create a Google Earth recorded tour of specific areas in South Florida. This took some practice in order to smoothly move from one location to another at a specific location and perspective.

The first step was to add place marks by clicking on the yellow push pin icon above the map, I then renamed it and moved it while the properties window was open. You cannot move the place mark when the properties window is closed. 

Once all the place marks were positioned and the view was the way I wanted it, I pressed the record icon (looks like video camera at top of map), clicked the red button and moved from place to place until I visited all my place marks. Again, it took numerous trials to make the tour flow smoothly and correctly. Once I was complete, I saved the recording (icon in popup), moved the recording to an appropriate place with the rest of its layers, and then saved the entire group by right click the group, Save Places As, and then named it and ensured it was saved on my desktop.

This was a very fun lab to complete and gave me more confidence with Google Earth. 



No comments:

Post a Comment