Terry's GIS Studies and Transition to a New Career

Friday, February 28, 2020

Criteria 3--Schools and Registered Daycare Centers

For Criteria 3, I had to define and quantify schools and registered daycare centers in proximity to the preferred corridor. I downloaded the U.S. Census Bureau's TIGER edge files for both counties and used imagery for my basemap. As with every map, I ensured that the GCS and projection were consistent.

I got a little over zealous on determining the schools and daycare centers. I prepared two separate Excel spreadsheets to input my data. Unfortunately, I input ALL schools and daycare centers in both counties from information on the school districts' webpages and a childcare center locator.

After I cleaned the spreadsheets, I save them in .csv format and then created my address locator. When I geocoded the schools, more than half were unmatched and would take an inordinate time to match them using Google Earth and school webpages. As a result, I located the zip codes that were impacted by the corridor and removed all schools (and later daycare centers) that were not in these zip codes. I then geocoded the result and matched any schools that were not matched. I did the same with the registered daycare centers.

Just as in the homes and parcels analysis, there were many schools and daycare centers that were new, had moved, or shut down. I had to use my best judgment when determining their status. In the end, only two private schools were within one mile of the corridor midline and no daycare centers were close. Therefore, no schools or daycare centers met the criteria to be impacted.

Schools and Registered Daycare Centers in Proximity of the Corridor.
The colors are consistent with previous maps. No schools or daycare centers
are impacted by the corridor.



No comments:

Post a Comment