Terry's GIS Studies and Transition to a New Career

Friday, February 14, 2020

Lab 6--Create a 3D Scene

Again, this portion of the lab built on the two previous products. By downloading a LiDAR layer from the National Map Viewer, I was able to create elevation and relief on the other layers.

To begin, I created a New Local Scene (Insert-New Map Dropdown) and added the LiDAR layer to the scene. In order to smooth the output, I filtered the image by selecting "Ground." I then searched for "LAS Dataset to Raster" in the geoprocessing pane in order to create a digital elevation model (DEM). When the DEM layer was selected, the image appeared to look like terrain features with different colors symbolizing different elevations. In contrast the previous incarnations were more pixelated and reflected off different surfaces.

Once the UWF buildings layer and roads layer were added to the resulting layer, they appeared to be "draped over" the terrain. For this project, I de-selected the DEM layer because I thought the World Elevation 3D/Terrain 3D layer looked better. Once this was complete, I added another layer for a map deliverable. Of course, the map had all essential elements. The only challenge was in rotating the 3D layer so that it was arrayed the way I wanted. There are many ways to do this; however, I went into the properties, and manipulated the degrees of rotation until I liked the result.
The resulting map is displayed below:

Map 3: 3D View of UWF Campus
The above map is the culmination of the entire lab. As stated, all essential map elements are present. The north arrow is arrayed to be the actual magnetic north of the raster layers. If I rotated the map, the north arrow would move in the appropriate direction. The original UWF roads are in red, the original UWF buildings are in light blue, Campus Lane (created feature) is purple, and Building 072 (created feature) is green. The scale bar is in feet because the overall map is in feet. I also added the map data which provides the author/date, sources, elevation ground surface method, and the RMSE and transformation degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment