Terry's GIS Studies and Transition to a New Career

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Module 5b--Dot Density Mapping

This lab was very straightforward and just showed how to produce a dot density map. Though this map was optional due to the coronavirus, the professor highly suggested that we complete the project because it builds on future maps.

The map again utilized the Albers Conic Equal Area projection for the same reasons as the choropleth map--to maintain equal areas so that data is not skewed or misinterpreted.

Once all my layers were added, I joined the Excel spreadsheet that included population numbers with a feature class that showed the South Florida counties and boundaries. I then populated the symbology using the dot density feature based on the population density included in the feature class/attribute table.

With the dot density symbology, it was trial and error to determine which looked the best and had the correct size and dot value for the extent of the map. Though I could have used a nomograph, I chose to do this using my own intuition. Because the dots are placed randomly throughout the boundaries, I masked those dots that were inside surface water. This way, people would not be shown as living on the water. In order to show the dots only in urban areas, I clipped the South Florida feature class to the Urban Land feature class in place dots only in the urban areas.

I then finalized the map by placing the essential map elements. To provide a visual anchor for population density, I created three equally sized boxes with a specific number of dots to show an example population density. I did this by created one box with dots, grouping the elements, and then copying until I had the appropriate number of dots. I then ensured the dots were placed randomly in each box.

Again, the map was very straightforward and only took a few hours. I believe it is important to get all the practice one can get, especially when this lab builds upon the next.

Dot Density Map of Southern Florida. One dot equals 5,000 People

No comments:

Post a Comment