Terry's GIS Studies and Transition to a New Career

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Google Earth

After collecting the data in Collector, the lab required me to share the data as a Google Earth file and an ESRI map package. I created two .kml files (.kmz if in zip format)--one from ArcGIS Pro and one from ArcGIS Online. This was very easy, but the files were much different in size and in the way the data was portrayed.

I imported both .kml files to Google Earth Pro (online). I was unable to display the files simultaneously, but I could toggle between both files. As with all Google Earth applications, the output was beautiful and I could pin the data for others to see.

I also created a map package to share a map with someone not connected to the network. This operation was very easy, to include the synchronization between ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online. This is a very powerful tool in the event that someone does not have access to these programs, which are very expensive.

All in all, I really enjoyed this lab and look forward to building my knowledge base further.

No comments:

Post a Comment